Do you ever feel like you have lots to do but no matter how hard you try, you can’t seem to get anything done? Sometimes, the feeling is that there’s so much to do that you’re terrified and the easiest action to take is no action. I think most people feel that way at some point or the other. Getting things done is a hobby of mine (nerd like me 😉 ) so here are some of the tips that work for me:
- When you have a ton of things to do, the first thing to do is to make a list. Sometimes, when you write everything down, you find that there aren’t as many things on it as you feared there would be and that feeling inspires you to get to work.
- Arrange the things on your list in order of priority with the most important at the top. Once you’ve done that, start with the item that you think you’ll be able to complete in the shortest amount of time. Getting that item off your list will give you the motivation to attack the rest of the list.
- Determine if you are a morning, afternoon or night person. Some people do their best work in the morning, others at night. Work when you work best, so to speak, and you’ll be more productive.
- No matter how much stuff you have to do, the most important thing is to start. Even if it’s just one small action you take, do it. For example, sometimes I have to study and when I see how long the chapter in the textbook is, I just want to throw the book far far away. But if I tell myself to read just two paragraphs, I wind up reading half the chapter and feeling good after all.
- When you’re working on a task, finish that task before turning to something else. For example, if you’re writing a report, finish that before starting on the financial budget for something else.
- Don’t beat yourself up. Fine, there are 8 things on your list and you’ve only managed to do two. If, for example, the 2 things you’ve done are important, it’s a cause for celebration. It’s not always about numbers.
Try some of these tips and let me know in the comments how you get on.
Want to know when a new blog post of mine comes up? All you need to do is subscribe to my blog. It’s free! Just enter your email address into the box on the right. Want to get in touch with me? You can do so via Facebook or Twitter or by sending me an email.